Piazza Bowman RC
Ever since I was a small child I've enjoyed collecting cards. I could say I was given a choice if I wanted to collect them or not, but I was definitely steered in that direction from my dad. He had collected cards as a young boy, and while pursuing the completion of the sets he grew up collecting, took my brother and I to different card shows looking for the missing pieces to his collection. In the early years I definitely didn't have much direction with what I would collect. I'd regularly spend my allowance on random packs, or loose singles of players I liked. Locally I had a couple of options that I can remember. Early in my collecting life there was Dave Koch Sports in the mall, and then later, a small shop in a strip mall down the block from my house.
I don't know how my collection started to steer towards Mike Piazza but I'm glad it did. He was arguably the greatest hitting catcher in MLB history. He had a streak of 10 consecutive All-Star Game appearances, with 12 appearances in total. He was definitely my favorite player of all time. Unbelievable career for someone that was drafted in the 62nd round. Throughout my blog postings I'll share different items I've collected of Piazza over the years, but I'll start with my favorite. His 1992 Bowman Rookie Card.
Back in the day there was no way I had the patience or will to save up to buy this card as a single. As I started to collect Piazza after this card had been out for a couple of years, the packs were not easy to come by. I would buy them would I could find them, but I knew my only true hope was to get it gifted to me for a birthday or Christmas.
I remember going to a card show in southern Wisconsin about a month before my 12th birthday. I would flip through some singles, look at the cards in the glass cases and I saw it. There was the Bowman RC. My eyes lit up and I left some not so subtle hints to my mom and dad that they should get it for my birthday that year. They told me it was a great idea but not to get my hopes up. I continued along going from booth to booth looking at cards in my price range. I grabbed a couple of cheap packs and a couple of cheap Piazzas and eventually forgot about seeing "the card".
My birthday came up and there was a little weight to my card this year. I thought initially maybe it was just a fancy card, so I held onto it until after all my presents were opened. I'm glad I did wait, as I'm not sure I would have been able to open anything else. Inside was the card of my dreams. That 1992 Bowman Mike Piazza. I don't know where it came from, but it was finally mine.
After all these years, I can show it off and still be so very happy to have it in my collection. Thank you for reading.
I don't know how my collection started to steer towards Mike Piazza but I'm glad it did. He was arguably the greatest hitting catcher in MLB history. He had a streak of 10 consecutive All-Star Game appearances, with 12 appearances in total. He was definitely my favorite player of all time. Unbelievable career for someone that was drafted in the 62nd round. Throughout my blog postings I'll share different items I've collected of Piazza over the years, but I'll start with my favorite. His 1992 Bowman Rookie Card.
Back in the day there was no way I had the patience or will to save up to buy this card as a single. As I started to collect Piazza after this card had been out for a couple of years, the packs were not easy to come by. I would buy them would I could find them, but I knew my only true hope was to get it gifted to me for a birthday or Christmas.
I remember going to a card show in southern Wisconsin about a month before my 12th birthday. I would flip through some singles, look at the cards in the glass cases and I saw it. There was the Bowman RC. My eyes lit up and I left some not so subtle hints to my mom and dad that they should get it for my birthday that year. They told me it was a great idea but not to get my hopes up. I continued along going from booth to booth looking at cards in my price range. I grabbed a couple of cheap packs and a couple of cheap Piazzas and eventually forgot about seeing "the card".
My birthday came up and there was a little weight to my card this year. I thought initially maybe it was just a fancy card, so I held onto it until after all my presents were opened. I'm glad I did wait, as I'm not sure I would have been able to open anything else. Inside was the card of my dreams. That 1992 Bowman Mike Piazza. I don't know where it came from, but it was finally mine.
After all these years, I can show it off and still be so very happy to have it in my collection. Thank you for reading.
Comments